Monday, January 30, 2006

Maybe Not that Kind of Christian. . .


Several years ago I read, and for the most part enjoyed, A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLearn. I do appreciate the vision of McLearn and other emerging church' leaders who are challenging the traditional, modern way of churching.

That said, I do not agree 100% with McLearn and some of his writings. While thought provoking, which is what I feel he generally intends them to be, he is just another man trying to work out his faith and understanding of Christ. I thought this posting from another person's blog was rather interesting, and the writer highlights the importance of sound Biblical teaching. Despite any given church's approach to ministry and proclamation of the Gospel, truth in Biblical teaching is essential.

As myself and others search and experience a new way to church together, I hope we strive to preserve Biblical teaching as the core of all that we do. I believe that truth exsists in the person of Jesus Christ and that God has given us The Bible as tangible truth where we learn more about who God and Jesus are and how we should live our lives in light of that truth. To step away from that truth in an attempt to be 'culturally relevant' makes the church and the Gospel of Jesus completely irrelevant. If the truth of The Bible, Christ or God is ever marked as 'irrelevant' or 'situational applicable', then we offer the world nothing different than they can find on TV, in an idol, etc. Why invest in anything you do not believe to be true?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point! I agree wholeheartedly! (I hope this is acceptable for a first time commenter) Love ya!

Sher said...

I'm glad to think that we are pursuing truth togther!

In other fronts...I'm so bored at work today.