Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Being a 'Twentysomething'


Who Do I think I am?

Twentysomething. Yup, that would be me. What an interesting, awesome and sometimes confusing time it can be! As a person who is fairly reflective, I have recently found myself feeling like I'm not quite old enough to be doing what I do daily and often wondering what my tomorrows will look like. That is a poorly written sentence, so let me try to give an example of what I'm talking about. . .

While I was driving home last Friday I called Ryan, my husband (that's crazy to me. . .I have a husband and I am a wife), and we were exchanging stories about our work days. I told him about a phone interview I had with a magazine regarding how I solicite positive media coverage for the school district I work for. As I was answering the journalist's questions I wanted to laugh at myself. I hardly feel old enough or professionally experienced enough to be offering answers to be published with the intent of giving PR advice to others. I had half a mind to ask the reporter if they knew how old I wasn't!

I feel like I am just now getting my feet on the ground after graduating college, working full time and getting married nearly simtaneously in spring/summer of 2005. For me, all of these changes dramatically impacted the way that I live my life and have also challenged me spiritually in many demensions. I often find myself feeling like every single decision that I make now could make or break my adult life experience. I'm working on this way of thinking. Becuase really, don't all of our decisions have effects on the rest of our life. I am thankful that I trust God to be directing those for me. . .working on it, anyways. . .probably always will, but hopefully we'll work it out along the journey of life.

The Gift of Marriage

When you are single, you do as you please. You go to bed when you want to, you get up when you want to, you lay around, and there is no one else you are accountable to for your time. Not even your parents anymore. And not your friends. But just yourself. Being single allows one to be as selfish as they like. And I say that from my own experience, though you may disagree. But that is not the case when you are married.

First, I am no longer just on my own, accountable to only myself. Even when you are dating, you still feel on your own. But entering into marriage is a huge thing, and you are now living, two people as one, in this great mystery that God has created, and priorities radically shift. You now have someone else who you are accountable to. You now have someone else who depends on you for certain things. When I was single, I could spend all day doing whatever I pelased, and not do a thing. Let the dishes go. Let the laundry sit another week. Let the bills sit a few more days. Grab food on your way home from work instead of going to the grocery store. But now I can't live that way anymore. Or really, I don't want to live that way anymore. Ryan and I both have things to do, and we have helped take on each other's responsibilities as well. I can't imagine what life is like when a kid comes along!

I love my husband very much and love sharing life with him. Mostly these days I'm thankful for his patience and encouragement, truly and daily example of grace for me.

Closing thoughts

So I'm learning to embrace these 'twentysomething' years, and enjoying the excitement that comes with new things in life; especially enjoying Ryan who I get to share all of these changes with forever.

Related Reading

They Just Won't Grow Up, TIME Magazine

No comments: