Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Ad's


Redemption from the '05 Ads
I really enjoyed some of the commercials from this year's Super Bowl. Unlike last year's ads, some agencies decided to step out beyond a 'sex-appeal' (some still used it) strategy (which is typically more effective in print ads) and what we got were some experiments that went well and a few that didn't.

Cheers to Sprint & TBWA/Chiat-Day (NYC)
The scene: 2 men in the club house/locker room comparing their cell phones. Finally, one of the men claims that his phone has a built-in theft deterrent system; he proceeds to demonstrate this theft deterrent system by throwing his phone and nailing the other guy in the face with it. Sprint presented an honest ad that basically said that a cell phone is not a cell phone at Sprint; with them you get a little extra 'punch. . . ' pun totally intended. . . TBWA/Chiat-Day produces yet another quality piece of advertising.

Jeers to Burger King & Crispin Porter & Bogusky (Miami) & Mick Jagger
The Whopperettes, dancers dressed as hamburger ingredients. . . the only thing this spot did for me was gross me out! This spot was almost as unattractive as seeing Mick Jagger's 60-something year-old arms after he took off his jacket, while jirating his hips and flaunting his belly shirt. . . Mick's saving grace was when he said, "And here's I Can't Get No (Satisfaction); a song we could have performed at Super Bowl I when it was topping the charts." Enough said.

Quick Fact
Average cost of a 30 second commercial this year: $2,400,000 (www.adage.com)
* I will note that Mick does get props for being able to move like that at his age. The Stones put on a good show, I just didn't need to see quite as much of him.

2 comments:

Sher said...

The Sprint ad was by far the best one I saw all night! But I did appreciate how the Budweiser ads weren't rampant with the scantily clad ladies. I like the one with the little Clydesdale. It was cute!

Also, Pizza Hut lost MAJOR points with me because of their stupid Jessica Simpson ad. Uh, hello! Does anyone remember the Ali Landry Doritos’ commercial in 1998? The two seem a bit too similar for me. Plus, little Miss Boots is “so last season,” if you want my opinion! I’m as over her as she is over her marriage!

RC said...

I thought the BK commercial was pretty funny.

Love the Sprint ad...

I'm sick of the Clydesdales...but there here to stay...in fact I'm sick of all the animals.

How about that Hummer Commercial where the little monster was birthed...I that one was pretty bizare, but memorable. I liked it.