Friday, February 03, 2006

There's No Place like Your Hometown


I'm not in Kansas Anymore
I just got some pictures back from Thanksgiving & Christmas. The last roll of our non-digital camera. I really enjoyed looking at a few that we took while in the metropolis of Wamego, Kansas. With a grand population of around 4,500 including pets and livestock, my quaint little hometown along the yellowbrick road is just awesome! I have really come to value various aspects of my hometown since I moved away for college 5 years ago.

What's So Great about Wamego?
1. The Old Dutch Mill. A Dutch immigrant to W-town bought this mill in the 1880's to be a symbol of his home countryland. The mill produced stone-ground whole wheat flour until around 2000.
* Side note The first time Ryan impressed me: The first time I met him, Ryan asked me where I was from. I replied, "Wamego, Kansas. . .you've never heard of it." And he said, "Yes I have, home of the famous Dutch Mill!" Wow. . .I should have known that he was the one then :-)

2. The Columbian Theatre The story of The Columbian began over 100 years ago when J. C. Rogers, a Wamego banker, visited the Chicago World's Fair, otherwise known as the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.

At the close of the Fair, Rogers brought paintings and other artifacts back to Wamego to adorn his new music hall. It was a venue for vaudeville, drama, masque balls, concerts and community events.

In 1950 The Columbian closed and was dark for 40 years. The only thing that saved it from destruction was that a furniture store remained open on the ground floor, motivating the owners to keep the roof in good repair. In the late 1980's my grandfather spearheaded the $1.8 million renovation that has restored the building to it's original splendor. The Columbian also provided me with an income when I was in high school and worked as a hostess & accompanist.

The Oz Museum I think the name speaks for itself. They have everything Oz; from the ruby red slippers to any memorabilia made about the move, and my personal favorite: the dress worn by Diana Ross in the movie "The Wiz."

Closing Thoughts
There really is no place like "home." I love visiting Wamego when we get a chance. The people and community will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope you have enjoyed this trip to the land of "Ahs."

No comments: