Thursday, March 09, 2006

No god but God, learning about Islam


So this is the book that I am currently reading: No god but God : The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam by Reza Aslan. So far I am only about 4 chapters in, but it has been an excellent and educating read.

Why I'm reading this book. . .
Simply put, I want to learn. As one of about 4 religions that are supposedly "the fastest growing in the world," I felt that I don't know enough about Islam to have much of an intelligent conversation on any related topic. I want to have a better understanding of this deeply traditional religion that seems to me, far more embedded and rooted in Middle Eastern culture than Christianity is in the U.S. It seems that there is a far greater cost for conversion in that part of the world that I have never encountered living in the Western world.

I'll post more as I read & learn. . .

No comments: