Thursday, August 03, 2006

Reader's Block


I know what you're thinking; "I bet she meant 'writers block,' but I really do mean reader's block; and I have it. My husband has recently joked with me that our children will not gain a love of reading from me. I have felt really unmotivated over the past 6 months to pick up a book and read for my own pleasure or education. There are so many excellent books out there and so many topics that I would like to learn more about that something needs to start clicking within the gears of my brain so I don't become a staley-educated slacker. I sit in front of a computer most of my day and write and design ads for work, so sometimes I am absoutly sick of staring at an object while sitting on my rear by the time I get home. But that is mostly a lame attempt for me to explain the readers block...

I really do love to read and I'm hoping that I can regain some drive and desire.

Anyone else understand what the readers block is like?

Related Tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

RC said...

I wondered if you had invented this term, and perhaps you did, but you're not the 1st to think or use it.

I got 13000 search results for "Reader's Block" on google and just a little over 500 for "Readers Block" with out the apostrophe.

But this is a new term to me, and i like it alot.

Sher said...

I totally understand! It took me over a year to read this dumb love book about england. I started a Nicholas Sparks book recently, and threw it on the floor cause I was bored. I don't like reading much, and after seminary, I didn't read for a long, long, long, long time! But...I started reading Crime and Punishment this week, and it is really keeping me interested. But it's taken about a year of me not being able to finish a book to actually open this one.

janamichelle said...

what do you call the problem where you read the first few pages of like 10 books in one week, and none of them stick. reader's .... stability issues.