Tuesday, June 05, 2007

tuesdays with kim e.

Here's a quick run down on what we've been up to lately...a surprise weekend getaway to Orlando/Disney World (thanks wonderful husband)...Memorial Day Weekend cookout/wiffle-ball...helping out with Switch (youth group)...a really fun visit from Grandpa & Georiga...trying to be good on my WeightWatchers program (I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks!)

For your viewing pleasure, above is a pic from Disney (Downtown Celebration) along with a great photo of me & Grandpa at the top of Jupiter Lighthouse.
Hurricane season officially started last Friday and we're not so sure what to think about it all. The state of Florida has "tax-free" hurricane supplies for the next couple of weeks...generators (under $1,000, of course); "items sold as artifical ice" (under $10); visqueen (under $50...um, what is that???); and a bunch of other items you can see here.
Basically, we have no idea what we've gotten ourselves in to. People at work keep laughing and joking about the last round of "real" hurricanes from a couple of years ago and they can't wait for this year's "hurricane parties." (Which I have been told are block parties people have when their electricity goes out...they quickly BBQ their meat with neighbors and have a big party outside before the storms hit and their meat goes bad)...
I've also been notified that since I work at a hospital I have 12 hours to report to work once the hurricane warning is posted. I then have to wear a bright orange vest until the event has cleared out...I am allowed to bring immediate family members and pets, but I have to supply food and water for any family or pets I bring in. I don't know, this just isn't sounding like anything I would laugh or joke about, or a party ocassion that I would look forward to. Why wasn't this part of my interview and orientation....
I guess I'm just not a Florida girl yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's just crazy, and a little intimidating! I mean, we have earthquakes here, but since there's no season and no real preparation, no one really talks about them. That's better...right?? :)

Grete said...

I'm so jealous of your trip to Disney World! (Not that Disney Land is far from me, but I haven't been there!)

And, I agree with Jon about the craziness of hurricane prep... Orange vests? To spot you if you're swept away?

AK said...

I just imagine you and Ryan living in a hospital room - you, in your orange vest, scavenging food for him from the hospital cafeteria... How are you supposed to provide food for family members if you are stuck in the hospital? Oh well. At least they provide somewhere to stay. Anthony and his coworkers have had to go to all sorts of meetings about what to do in the event of a hurrican as well. I guess people in my office don't care.

Anonymous said...

First off, the picture of you and your grandpa is really nice. Is your hair pulled back or is it just windy. It looks cute.
I hope that if you are having a block BBQ that you have eaten your Omaha steaks, if not, hop to it!!!
You probably wouldn't get to go to the party anyhow, since you will be at the hospital making your fashion statement and scrounding for food for the husband!
M

Kimberly Ann said...

To answer Grete's question... I get to wear the orange vest becuase I am considered the "Public Information Officer" during crisis...

To answer "M"... it was just incredibly windy; my hair is not pulled back :-)

Sher said...

Hurricane parties! Sweet! I've been to a few! But the most memorable was really a tropical storm party. And before the end of the night we ended up having to hunker down in the stairwell because the storm was hitting hard! Ahhh! Memories of beach life!